Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating the outer frame: Part 1, part of Game Asset Creation: Stylized Wooden Crate.
- In this video we're going to make a start at…modeling the outer frame for our wooden crate asset.…Before we being making assets, though,…it is a good idea to make sure that our DCC application…is properly set up, so that we're not going to get…any surprises further down the production pipeline.…Now, in the case of this course,…we know that we're going to be taking our asset…into the Unreal game engine.…Because of this, there is a little bit of setup…that we're going to want to take care of…before we ever begin creating our model.…
And this will be all about the scale of our objects.…You see, Unreal Engine 4 works in centimeters…for its default unit settings.…And, of course, whenever we bring a mesh into the engine,…we're going to want to make sure that it comes in…at the correct size or scale.…To do this in 3ds Max,…let's come to the Customize menu…and click to enter the Unit Setup dialogue.…Well, the first thing we want to do…is make sure that the display units…are set to metric centimeters.…
Now, making a change to the display unit…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.