Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating mental ray sun and sky, part of 3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lighting.
- [Instructor] Let's create a Mental Ray sun and sky…through a daylight system.…In the Create Panel…go over to Systems…the little gears.…And we see Sunlight and Daylight.…Sunlight is just the sun…with no indirect illumination.…And it creates a standard directional light.…As such, it has no support for the ART Renderer.…There's no compelling reason to use the sunlight…because its functionality is incorporated…into the daylight system.…
Which also allows us to create a skylight…and an environment.…Click on Daylight.…And we get a dialog.…You're creating a daylight system.…We want you to use…Mental Ray Photographic Exposure Control.…Well that's fine, we actually want to use…the physical camera exposure control but, for now,…we can say yes.…We can change up the exposure control module later.…Now that's been enabled, and we're in Creation Mode.…Let's go over to the top viewport.…
Middle mouse drag around there, just to…move the view.…And then click with the left mouse button…and drag out…to create a compass rose.…Release the mouse.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.