Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating mental ray area spot lights, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Our chapter on lighting is going to be pretty…short because we don't have very much to do.…This is just a single subject.…And it means we only need a few lights.…And it'll be fairly simple to setup.…The best type of light in this situation is actually an area light.…Because it's going to produce a really soft, even illumination.…And so for our keylights or our primary illumination.…We're going to use MR area spotlights.…Go to Create Panel, and choose Lights, and the default light type is Photometric.…
We want to click on that pull down list…and choose Standard, and create an MR area spotlight,…click on that, and on the top view,…click somewhere behind into the right of the camera.…Click there and then hold and drag out and go over to the…watch and then release, and you will create the spotlight and its target.…Right click to complete the creation of that target light, and…we want to load the front view port into this panel here.…
We'll click on that panel and then click on the left label and choose front.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.