Extrude shapes along a path.
- [Narrator] One of the most common and powerful tools…for spline modeling in 3ds Max is the loft compound object.…This is a surface that is generated from…two or more splines.…And in 3ds Max terminology…a loft is an extrusion along a path.…So you need at least one shape curve…in order to extrude along that path.…And you need exactly one path.…And here I have a path and two shapes.…
So I'm going to create the loft compound object…and you can do this by selecting either…the path or the shape.…I'll do it by selecting the path…and that's this straight line here.…Select that, go over to the create panel,…geometry, from the pull down list…that says standard primitives, choose compound objects.…And some of them are grayed-out, you'll notice,…and that means that we don't have a legal object selected.…
But loft is not grayed out…because we have a spline object selected.…So click loft.…Next we need to select either the path or the shape.…And since this is the path, we now need to add a shape.…And we see creation method down here.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.