Model an image plane and apply a material.
- [Instructor] A common practice in 3D modeling…is to trace over 2D reference images.…You can create orthographic views of the front,…side, and top of an object or scene…and use that as a reference or template to trace over…with your 3D tools.…And in this case I'll apply that technique…to a floor plan of an office.…And I've got that floor plan already made.…I'll load it into 3ds Max just to look at it.…Go into the File menu and choose View Image File…and it's located in my current project sceneassets, images…and that's the location where you should store…all textures for your current project.…
Here it is, floor plan office 2048 by 2048.…Open that up.…And we get a window where we can view the image file.…And we can zoom in with the mouse wheel…if we want to see this a little bit better.…Or zoom back out again with the mouse wheel.…So it's a very simple floor plan…and I've deliberately chosen these colors,…so that they will not clash with the 3ds Max interface.…I have a light gray background and dark gray lines.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.