Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a custom matte pass, part of Rendering for Composites inside 3ds Max.
- With our elements in place,…and with their individual parameters set up…according to the needs of our current scene,…time in this exercise to finalize their setup,…and to create a custom matte pass…using State Sets functionality.…To do this we will need to add a second State to our scene,…and then we name the first elements…and the second Custom_Matte.…As the matte status's by far and away the easiest to set up,…let's work on that first by making it active,…and then in the Render Elements tab…disabling all elements for it.…
We also need to create our Matte material,…so let's open up the Material Editor using the M key,…and as we won't be using any particular…mental ray functionality in this pass,…we can simply use the Standard material here,…So let's right click to create a new work area tab,…call it Matte_Materials and then drag out…two new Standard materials with which we can work.…We can double to access the parameters farther first,…and name it Red_Mask.…
And then we will click the second,…and give it the very descriptive name of Black.…
- Making a pipeline decision
- Understanding how state sets work
- Using state sets for rendering passes
- Setting element parameters
- Creating a custom matte pass
- Installing Compositor Link
- Outputting rendering footage to After Effects
- Adding post-production effects in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Introduction to Render Elements
2. Introduction to State Sets
3. Project - Rendering Our Elements
4. Project - Interoperability with After Effects
5. Project - Post Production in Adobe After Effects
What next?1m 4s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.