Once we have our shapes in place, we will need to sell that these are real-world hard surfaces. One way to do this is to increase the resolution and add variation into the edge creasing to get softer and harder edge transitions. This will help the viewers' eye tell what it is they are looking at.
- [Instructor] What we want to do…in this exercise is add some smoothing…to the geometry on our breastplate,…so as to bring it closer in look to…the reference image that we have been using.…As opposed, that is,…to the polygonated version that we currently have.…First of all then, let's select our geometry.…Come over to the modifier stack,…and from there, first of all,…apply a crease set modifier,…and then add an open subdiv modifier as well,…which I am, in this instance,…going to set at three iterations.…
Now, if we orbit around the mesh…in the view port here,…we can see that the inside section of the breastplate…has quite a pronounced inward slope,…or at least it does on my version.…And so, I would like to just flatten that out a little.…Jumping into edge mode on the editable poly objects then,…let's turn on Show End Result, press F3…and then select one of the loop edges…that we earlier added to the mesh.…What we can do then, is hit alt L,…in order to select the loop…or we can come up to the modeling ribbon…and select the option from there.…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.