Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating ambient-occlusion materials, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…In this movie, we're going to create ambient occlusion as a separate pass.…And we're going to do it through a manual process.…And it might seem a bit roundabout.…But there's a method to my madness here.…There are some pretty deep issues with the way…that mental ray in 3ds Max deals with ambient occlusion.…As you know, we can output ambient occlusion directly from.…The material, arch and design, but, unfortunately, we can't…control some of the key parameters like spread and falloff.…
If you want to have control over those parameters, then we have…to use the separate ambient reflective occlusion node, as we did.…And theoretically, we should be able to render that…out as a separate render element, because, there's a…render element called Shader element, that lets us choose…any node in the tree, and output that separately.…And that should work, but, unfortunately, it treats the entire…scene like an environment, and it's almost impossible to exclude objects.…There's a method where you're supposed to be able to exclude them,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.