- View Offline
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hi, I'm Aaron F. Ross and I'm excited to show you all about creating product shots in 3ds Max. In this course, we use 3ds Max and Adobe AfterEffects to produce several versions of a product rendering. Learning outcomes are informed by real-world production workflows. Our jumping-off point is a CAD model, created in a solid modeling program for industrial designers and mechanical engineers. In 3ds Max we organize the model, apply materials, light and render the shot.
We employ several lighting methods, including area lights, photometrics, image-based lighting, and self-illumination. For maximum control over the look of the shot, we render out the various components such as diffuse illumination and reflections to separate passes. To color-correct and sweeten the rendering, we combine all the passes in AfterEffects. Our journey to creating product shots in 3ds Max begins now.
Sign up for a Premium Membership to download courses for Internet-free viewing.
Watch offline with your iOS, Android, or desktop app.Start Your Free Trial
After signing up, download the course here or from the iOS/Android App.