One additional pass that helps with final composites is a selection pass. In this video, learn how to use this to add bright colors to the scene to make it easy to select parts of it in Photoshop.
- [Instructor] At this point, we have three … separate render layers. … And if we look at those under Rendering, State Sets, … you'll see we have the Hero pass, the Reflection pass, … and the Ambient Occlusion pass. … Now, we can create more rendered passes as needed. … a Selection pass. … And this really just allows you to isolate … certain parts of the image by color … so that you can select it in Photoshop. … Now this is not a render layer that … we will actually use in the final composite, … it's just a tool that allows us to select … things more easily. … So let's go ahead and create one. … So I'm going to go into State Sets, … add a new state set, and let's just rename that Select. … And then, let's go ahead and start off … by creating one for the grass on the ground. … So I'm going to go into my Compact Material editor … and I'm just going to reset my material editor slot … so we have a clean slate here. … And then, let's go ahead and create something … for the grass. … So I'm going to create a new material …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.