Learn how to use Substance Designer, Substance Painter, and Bitmap2Material with 3ds Max and V-Ray, and create photorealistic substance-based textures for your 3D models.
- [Brian] Hello and welcome to our course where we will be taking a look at Substance to V-Ray Next workflows inside the 3ds Max application. My name is Brian Bradley, and I'm really looking forward to working through the numerous options available to us should we want to use Allegorithmic's Substance-based texturing tools whilst rendering with the V-Ray engine in Max. In chapter one of the course, we're going to quickly look, first of all, at what we mean when we talk about using Substance-based tools. After which, we will see how we can set ourselves up to be able to make use of them inside 3ds Max.
In chapter two, we will look at using Bitmap2Material to help us quickly and easily create materials from photographic assets. In this instance, though, rather than looking at using the standalone Bitmap2Material application, we will instead make use of the Bitmap2Material node inside the 3ds Max Slate Material Editor. In chapter three, we will start to work with Substance files themselves by taking a look at how we can export them from the design application and then use that fully procedural texture in order to render with V-Ray inside Max, keeping in mind, of course, that we will still be able to edit the material inside Max using both the exposed parameters found in the substance itself and by means of 3ds Max and V-Ray's own material and map nodes.
In chapter four, rather than looking at exporting a procedural Substance file from Designer, we will instead look at outputting bitmaps. And then finally, in chapter five, we will again switch applications and this time look at using Substance Painter with V-Ray and Max, also making use of its ability to produce bitmap outputs. If you are ready to get to grips with using Allegorithmic's Substance-based tool set using the V-Ray renderer inside 3DS Max then, let's get going and dive on in.
- Why you should use substances for texturing
- Adjusting your Substance workflow mode and settings
- Creating materials from photos with Bitmap2Material
- Working with texture maps from Substance Designer and Painter
- Exporting maps as EXR and PSD files
- Using the exported maps in V-Ray