Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video The Coordinates rollout, part of 3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mapping.
- [Instructor] Now that we know how to apply simple…UV mapping to our model, we want in this video…to take a look at a set of controls that allow us…to manipulate how our textures are displayed in UV Space.…To get access to these controls, we need to open up…the material editor by means of the M key,…make certain that we are inside the UVW_Test material tab,…and then double-click on the bitmap node…in order to load its control set into the parameter editor.…Now at this moment in time, because bitmaps,…by their very nature, are 2D, they are usually…squared and fill the zero to one space of our UVs.…
This means that the rollout we are looking at here…is the 2D coordinate rollout.…We can confirm this by the fact that we see only U and V…controls here, not U, V and W.…I mention this because we do have access in 3ds Max…to a 3D coordinate rollout, as found on procedural maps,…such as noise and smoke.…In fact, if I just drag a smoke map…onto the graph work area, and double click on it if needed,…we can see that it does indeed have X, Y and Z,…
Instructor Joel Bradley explains what UVWs are, how they affect textures, and why they are needed. He also reviews the different mapping spaces that are available and how procedural maps are used in texturing. Then he progresses to the hands-on portion of the course, starting with mapping simple shapes and models with the UVW modifier. He also reviews advanced topics, such as unwrapping and editing UVs with the UVW Editor. Finally, he introduces blended box mapping, for when you need to get a model ready for texturing quickly.
- UVW coordinates
- UV space
- Working with the UVW Map modifier and UVW gizmo
- World space vs. object space
- Peel mapping and pelt mapping
- Reshaping UV elements
- Smoothing and relaxing UVs
- Rendering UV layouts
- Blending seams with the Blended Box Map
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
1. UV Mapping Basics
2. UV Mapping Options
3. Unwrap UVW Controls
4. The UVW Editor
5. Blended Box Mapping
Next steps1m 34s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.