Adjust spotlight softness.
- [Instructor] Let's create a photometric spotlight.…I've got an area light in the scene currently.…I'll select that light and display its modify panel.…Also open up the active shade window…so that we can see our changes update in real time.…And the light distribution type, I'll choose spotlight.…And not much changed up here,…it got a little bit more intense.…Usually, the default for a spotlight is a point shape.…
If I set this shape type down to point,…now we're going to see a traditional CGI spotlight.…And I can select that light and move it.…I've got my snaps turned on right now…but you can turn those off if you want…from the snaps button up here.…So this is a traditional spotlight look.…Notice that when we change the distribution,…once again the intensity changed as well.…I now have somewhat lower intensity,…so I'll increase the lumens value here.…
Make that brighter, bring that up to around 200 or so.…So we have a point light shape by default,…and that's going to create hard shadows.…If you want soft shadows,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.