Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Controlling attenuation decay, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017).
- [Instructor] Another important tool, in our bag of tricks,…of studio lighting and special effects,…is decay or attenuation,…the fall off of light over distance.…If we're using a renderer that allows non-physical effects,…we can set the attenuation manually.…3ds Max makes it very easy to do that,…using decay ranges.…In this example, I'm using photometric lights,…and this technique will only work in mental ray,…if you're using a photometric light.…
If you're using standard lights,…they actually have more options for attenuation.…But I'm sticking with photometric lights,…because they are more realistic.…Let's put some decay on the key light.…If we look in the top view here, I've got a spotlight,…and that's the key illumination.…And the light on the back wall, is a bit too bright.…Let's set our viewport to View Scene Lights.…Go to the viewport menu and click where it says Standard,…and go to Lighting and Shadows,…Illuminate with Scene Lights.…
And this gives an approximation,…of what the illuminance will be on the object.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.