Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Constructing a geometric backdrop, part of 3ds Max: Advanced Lighting.
- [Instructor] Self-illuminating geometry…is an option in situations when the environment background…is not sufficient to meet production goals.…For example, because we're using a shading network…to provide the environment here,…we can't see a preview in the view port.…Let's go in the Rendering menu,…and choose environment.…Earlier in the course, we signed an RGB multiply node…here in the environment map…and that's not supported in the view port here.…But if we use self-illuminating geometry,…we'd be able to work around that problem.…
Even if we could see the background here,…adjusting it in the frame might be challenging…because setting the mapping coordinates…in the bid map node is tedious and has limitations.…Self-illumination would give us the ability…to frame the background…by simply manipulating an object here…in the view port.…Self-illumination would also enable…a more complex setup with multiple background layers.…Maybe you want a spherical sky…and additional map paintings.…You could map those onto planes or cylinders.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Photometric lighting and gamma correction
- High dynamic range and exposure control
- Global illumination
- Exterior daylight
- Image-based lighting
- Atmospheric effects
- Geometric backdrops and self-illumination
- Hiding the background for compositing
- Interior daylight
- Studio soft lighting
- Importing photometric data
- Light and shadow exclusion
- Mapping light with Projector Map
- Lens Effects
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
2. Exterior Daylight
3. Photometric Interiors
Importing photometric data3m 48s
4. Studio Lighting and Effects
Next steps1m 8s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.