Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Constructing a MassFX Ragdoll, part of MassFX and 3ds Max: Creating Simulations (2013).
One very nice feature of MassFX is the fact that animated characters can…participate in simulations as either dynamic or kinematic rag dolls.…Using the Dynamic option, a character come both affect and be affected by other…objects in the simulation.…Using the Kinematic option, a character can affect the simulation, but cannot be…affected by it in any way.…For example, an animated character could knock down an obstacle on its way--…maybe such as bursting through a prefractured window--but a large box…falling on a Kinematic rag doll character would not in any way alter its…behavior in the simulation.…
To demonstrate how easy it is to create and edit a rag doll and its parameters,…we have in our scene, as you can see, a simple character hierarchy created using…standard 3ds Max bones.…Now, although this is clearly a bipedal character, it does not have to be in…order for a rag doll to be applied.…We could use any set of linked bones in any kind of character configuration.…We could just as easily have used a biped rig here, as the rag doll system…
- Setting up your 3ds Max project
- Understanding volume, mass, and density
- Learning the difference between concave and convex meshes
- Discovering Ground Collision and Gravity
- Baking out a simulation for rendering
- Adding an animation override
- Adding Rigid constraints and creating breakability
- Creating springy targets with the Hinge constraint
- Spinning targets with Twist
- Working with mCloth
- Putting a rip in mCloth
- Adding forces to a simulation
- Using fracture geometry in mParticles
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Dynamics Simulation 101: Understanding the Basics
2. The MassFX Approach
3. Working with Rigid Bodies
4. Making Use of Constraints
5. Working with mCloth
6. Using Forces with MassFX
Using forces with mCloth3m 47s
7. A Brief Introduction to mParticles
What's next?1m 5s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.