Shrinkwrap a surface to another object.
- [Instructor] Another very cool feature…of freeform modeling is the ability to conform…one surface to another.…And that comes in very handy in a situation like this…where I want the road to conform to the surface…of the underlying landscape.…If I select that road and orbit around…we can see that it's just floating…above the landscape currently.…To conform one object to another you need to follow…some very strict procedures,…and it's not really intuitive and you'll have to follow…this process precisely to get it to work.…
First and foremost, both of the objects…have to be editable poly.…And the road that I currently have selected…is a plane primitive.…And I can tell that even though the modify panel,…the entire command panel is hidden.…When I select the object and the freeform ribbon…is completely blank, that means the selected object…is not an editable poly, so it must be a plane.…I'm going to convert that to editable poly, right click,…and choose convert to, convert to editable poly.…
And now all the freeform tools are available.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.