Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Combining UV elements: Part 2, part of Game Asset Creation: Stylized Wooden Crate.
- Continuing on from the previous exercise then,…time to work on the UV layout of our outer frame.…One approach that we could take would be to…select each of the UV shells for the boards,…and then rotate them in the editor so as to…match the angle that we see in the view port.…So, horizontal polygons would have horizontal shells,…and vertical polygons would have vertical shells.…However, if we do this, we would have to…keep in mind the fact that when we take our…crate into Substance Designer, we would have to…create two different masks, and two different…versions of the wood grain texture.…
One that runs vertically, and one that runs horizontally.…As speed is usually an issue in game asset creation,…we want to avoid having to do this if we possibly can.…The best solution here is in fact the most simple one,…and that is to stack all of the UV clusters horizontally.…That way, our wood grain will always run in…the correct direction, so both horizontally and vertically.…But we will only need to make one wood grain texture.…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Getting Started with CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.