Copy a component part of a polygon mesh.
- [Instructor] Continuing with the modeling…of this flat screen monitor or all-in-one computer,…I want to create an extrusion or a depression…in the center of the monitor here.…I'll get in close with Control + Alt and middle mouse.…I previously created an inset polygon here.…I'll select the object and choose Polygon sub-object mode…and click in the center, and that is the inset polygon.…I want to push that back, extrude it backward.…
And let's look in this lower right corner here.…I want to push that surface backward…to create a depression.…And then also create a perfectly sized piece of glass…to sit exactly within that depression…and be precisely flush with it.…And since I know I'm going to do that,…I'm going to make a copy of this polygon…to a different object…before I perform the extrusion.…And that way, that copy of the polygon will be ready…to be converted into a 3D object on its own.…
And that will be the sheet of glass…that is perfectly flush with the frame of the monitor.…With that inset polygon selected,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.