Making the cuts is the easy part. The hard part is cleaning up the original model's topology to make it smoothing friendly. This may take a few tries, so make sure you save before making more cuts into your mesh.
- [Narrator] As already noted we need to perform…a little bit of clean up on our helmet here…in order to get it ready for application…of the OpenSubdiv modifier that it needs.…And so let's set about doing that…by first of all removing the interior polygons…from our previous operations.…With the helmet selected then…let's come into the Modifier tab,…jump into Polygon Selection Mode,…select all of the interior polygons…and then hit the Delete key.…We can start to clean things up a little bit now…by first of all applying a symmetry modifier…to the geometry and then clicking the flip option.…
Now to make sure that all of the vertices…on the symmetry line are welded…we can also set the threshold value to about one centimeter.…Let's then right-click and convert this to an editable poly…and jump into Vertex Sub-Object Mode…which is where most of our clean up work will be done.…Now perhaps one of the first things that we notice here…is that we do have quite a number of extra vertices…that we may or may not want to make use of.…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.