Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Changing 3ds Max system units, part of 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- To prevent your object from being scaled…when imported or exported from 3ds Max and Maya,…you'll want to set 3ds Max to work in centimeters.…Let's go into the unit setup dialog.…Customize Unit Setup.…Here you'll see the Display Unit Scale.…It behaves very similarly…to the working linear units inside of Maya.…All this does is change…the type of measurement you want to make.…
If you want to measure in centimeters or inches or whatever.…It doesn't change the scene,…it doesn't change the size of objects or their accuracy.…I can go up here and choose Metric…and set it to centimeters and click OK,…and select one of these objects here,…and go over to the Modify panel,…and we'll see length, width and height…for that box are one centimeter.…I'll select the other box…to show you that it is a cubic inch.…It's 2.54 centimeters on a side.…
Now let's go back into Customize Unit Setup…and switch it over to US Standard,…and I'll choose decimal inches.…Click OK, and now we'll see that the cubic inch object…is reading out as one inch,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.