Join Brian Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Building up your material, part of 3ds Max: Substance to Arnold.
- [Instructor] So we have the Bitmap2Material node set up…and ready to work with inside the 3ds Max Material Editor,…we have hooked this up…to an Arnold Standard Surface material…that itself has been applied to the ground geometry,…and we have taken a render of the resulting scene.…What we want to do now then is use at least…some of the huge number of controls made available to us…on the Bitmap2Material node…in order to make our ground material look…at least a little bit better than it currently does.…
Unfortunately though if you have either…opened the scene file that comes with this course…or if you have closed and reopened a version…of your own for this exercise…then you may have encountered one of the bugs…that we mentioned in the introductory chapter…in that your ground geometry is now showing up black…in the viewport.…Let's double-click on the Substance node then,…which brings back our missing inputs,…so that we can reconnect our Bitmap.…Now just to reiterate our earlier word of warning,…this will occur in every instance of the scene files…
- Why should we use substances?
- Choosing a substance workflow
- Using Bitmap2Material in 3ds Max
- Building up your material
- Working with substances and maps from the Designer application
- Using a substance with Arnold
- Improving your substance results
- Exporting your map types
Skill Level Intermediate
Substance Painter Essential Trainingwith Wes McDermott5h 55m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Rendering with Arnold (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 40m Intermediate
1. An Overview of the Substance Toolset
2. Using Bitmap2Material inside 3ds Max
3. Working with Substances from the Designer Application
4. Working with Maps from the Designer Application
5. Working with Maps from the Painter Application
Next steps1m 25s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.