Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Building the roughness map, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- For this final video in the chapter,…we're going to take a look…at how we created the very last piece…of the texturing puzzle…that we've been creating here,…this being the roughness map.…Now, hopefully, you can see in the 3-D view here,…but the current material setup,…we are getting, if I just orbit around,…a very obvious specular sheen…on the wood portion of our material.…So much so, in fact, that it almost starts…to white out a little.…If I just leave the 3-D view set at this position then,…it should help us see exactly what the roughness map…contributes to the material setup once we apply it.…
So, look at the creation of that.…You can see that we have the final diffuse…that we created earlier, piped into the diffuse output…of the PVR material.…But, we are also piping it…into a grayscale conversion node.…This is because roughness, as explained…in my Up and Running course,…is controlled by a grayscale map…that essentially tells the material…which areas of the surface are smooth…and so reflective, and which are rough,…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.