Create extensions and depressions on a mesh.
- [Instructor] One of the most common commands…in polygon modeling is extrude,…and in this case we'll use it to create a depression…in the front of the monitor…in which we will insert a precisely…shaped and sized sheet of glass.…So let's just work on the monitor chassis itself.…So select that monitor chassis and isolate it.…Turn on isolate selection.…And then let's go into polygon sub object mode,…and select the polygon in the center.…
And go over to the lower right corner…so we can really see this pretty clearly.…We're going to extrude this inward by a very small amount.…We can issue the extrude command…either from the modeling ribbon…or from the modify panel,…but either way we're not going to get good results…if we use the interactive click and drag method.…We need to open up the caddy to get at the options…to set it precisely.…So one way to do that is to hold down shift…and click on the extrude button on the modeling ribbon.…
And the extrude polygons caddy comes up,…and if we dolly back a bit we can see…that it's extruding quite a lot, way too much.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.