Edit a model to create quadrilateral polygons.
- [Narrator] Subdivision surface modeling is…sometimes called box modeling…because you almost always start from a box primitive…and we'll do that to create the seat cushion…for this office task chair.…Go into the create panel and click on box.…And you can draw it out in the perspective or the top view,…doesn't really matter, we're going to reposition it.…So click and drag to set the footprint…and drag up to set the height and click to finish the box.…Right click to exit box creation.…
Let's just position it with a move tool.…Set the x value to zero,…put it right in the middle of the world.…And the y value, we'll set to zero as well.…And then we can move it up in z.…I'm just dragging the spinner there,…bringing that box upward until it's approximately…at the right height.…Turn on edge faces with F4, and get in closer…and maximize with Alt + W.…And with that box selected, go to the modified panel…and let's rename it.…
We'll call it chair task seat cushion.…Let's set the basic parameters here.…The length, width, and height…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.