Learn how to control reflections, highlights, and diffuse scattering.
- [Instructor] One of the advantages…of a Monte Carlo renderer like ART is the ability…to interactively preview at production quality.…We can make changes to our material…and see a full production rendering in near real-time.…We'll use ActiveShade to do that.…Let's frame the sculpture in the perspective view…so that we can basically crop out everything else.…Getting close on that, extreme close up maybe.…And then enable safe frames, Shift + F.…
And it's cropped to the .666 aspect ratio we set earlier.…We'll need to set that up again for ActiveShade.…Go into the render setup dialog,…switch the target up here from production rendering mode…into ActiveShade mode.…And then, as soon as we do that,…we see the aspect ratio change.…Now set the renderer to ART.…And then the output size, set the image aspect…to .666, and press enter.…
Then lock the aspect with the padlock,…and I'll set the height to only 480 pixels…for a fast update.…And then in the perspective, you just frame the shot,…maybe dolly forward and back with the mouse wheel.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.