Finalize the model with Convert to Editable Poly.
- [Narrator] Quite often at the end of a subdivision surface…modeling project you'll need to bake the subdivisions,…or burn them in, and make that subdivision permanent.…And that's especially the case if you need to make…very small, polygon-level adjustments…to a subdivision surface model.…So, for example, what I want to do in this case,…is I want to actually separate…the seat cushion from the hardware below it.…There's a plastic base that's holding up the seat cushion,…and to preserve that order,…and make sure that there's no gap,…I will convert this object to an editable poly…that'll bake in the subdivisions,…and then I can detach the part that I want to.…
And that's something that I could not do unless I baked,…because I can't access the individual polygons here.…So if we select the object and go to the Modify panel,…at the top level is Opensubdiv,…and I actually can't select any of the subdivided polygons.…Those are procedural.…If I change the number of iterations,…I change the number of polygons.…Okay, so I'm going to now bake this,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.