Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Baking out the normal map, part of Game Art: Model & UV Map a Low Poly Character.
- [Narrator] Inside the Substance Painter application…let's choose File New from the menu system,…and then inside the mesh select option,…click Select, and choose our low poly mesh.…I'm going to go with a document size of 2K here…and then click OK.…And this should load everything into the 3-D view here,…meaning we can zoom in to one of the more detailed areas…of our mesh.…Coming over to the texture set settings…we can click the Bake Textures button…and then uncheck everything except for the normals option…seeing as that is all we are really interested in…for this section of the course.…
Although, you can feel free to bake out the other map types…as well if you want, should you want to have a go…at actually texturing the robot yourself.…Over in the output size controls we are going to set this…to be a 2K document,…although if you feel your graphics card may not be able…to handle the size of map in the baking process…feel free to load this to 1K or even 512.…Do keep in mind though that this will have an effect…
- Gamma and scale
- Setting up a scene
- Creation and shaping
- Using symmetry modifiers
- UV mapping
- Using guide objects
- Detailing and finishing
- Refining a model
- Prepping a model
- Exporting a model
- Fixing issues
- Normal map baking
Skill Level Beginner
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Intermediate
1. Modeling and Unwrapping the Drive Wheel Assembly
2. Building and UV Mapping the Wheels and Tread
3. Creating and Mapping the Head
4. Modeling and UV Mapping the Piston Assembly
5. Final Modeling, FBX Export, and Normal Map Baking
Next steps1m 41s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.