Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Baking animation in Maya, part of Advanced 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- Before exporting to FBX, animation that is driven…by constraints or other rigged elements…will probably need to be baked.…There are two main methods of baking animation,…transform key frames and geometry cache.…In this first movie we'll look at the key frames…on transforms, that is position, rotation, and scale.…Previously I hid my Time Slider and Range Slider,…let me get those back on the screen.…Display, UI Elements, Time Slider,…and Range Slider.…
We've got 360 frames of animation here.…Let me play it through.…We have Walter and Emma and they are handing off a card…from one to the other.…The card's position and rotation…are driven by parent constraints.…Those parent constraints will not translate over in our FBX.…All we need to do is just bake that constraint out…to straight up animation key frames.…The card's geometry is a child of a dummy object or locator,…that's this red cross here.…
I want to select that, because that's the object…that has the animation on it.…If we go over to the Channel box,…we can see that Translate and Rotate are in blue,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.