Learn how to render a paper-thin object with backlighting.
- [Instructor] To achieve the effect of light bouncing…inside an object, we can apply translucency…or sub-surface scattering.…Once again, in the physical material,…these are considered to be the same thing.…I've got a simple scene set up here with a card…that is lit from behind.…Here's the camera,…and then we've got a light shining from behind the object.…And then there's also a polyhedral object here,…which will cast a shadow on our translucent card.…
With focus on the physical camera viewport,…let's go ahead and do an ActiveShade render.…Here's the baseline render…with an ideal diffuse material assigned.…Open up the Material Editor,…and create a new physical material.…Just drag it over into the view.…And assign it to the card,…drag over,…and double-click it to select it.…Let's give it a roughness of .9.…
And also, let's increase the base color.…Set that up to the maximum of one.…And essentially, we're back…at an ideal diffuse material once again.…Now we can play around with the translucency,…which is found down here in Sub-Surface Scattering.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Appropriate for all
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.