Scale objects correctly to prevent distortion.
- [Instructor] To conclude our chapter…on the essentials of hierarchies,…I want to demonstrate an issue that may occur…when objects are non uniformly scaled.…That means stretched in one axis…differently than in the other axes.…And when you non uniformly scale objects…and then link them together in a hierarchy,…you may experience some very strange skewing artifacts…when you rotate the members of the hierarchy.…I'm going to show you how this occurs,…how to fix it, how to avoid it…and along the way, hopefully illuminate…some of the inner workings…of the transform matrix in a hierarchy…in a 3D program such as 3ds Max.…
I've got the artist mannequin here…and the torso object needs to be stretched.…And I can do that with non-uniform scaling in the z-axis.…I can actually do it from the default tool…on the main toolbar which is, select an uniform scale…and even though it says uniform scale there,…I have the Scale Transform Gizmo available…which allows me to scale in each axis independently.…I'll scale up in the z-axis,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.