Some areas of the scene may need additional help with lighting. In this video, learn how to add some fill light to soften shadows and add a bit more light to the scene.
- [Instructor] At this point, we have the main source … of light in the scene and that's the sun. … This is a daylight scene. … Now, we can add additional lights … to further control how the scene looks. … If I do a quick render of the scene, … you'll see the shadows are pretty sharp … and we have a lot of lightness and darkness … and I want to add in a little bit more subtlety to the shadows … and so what I'm going to do is add a second light … that basically creates a bounce lighting … off the dark sides of this building, … which is particularly this wall and this wall. … We're going to do that just by creating a standard Vray light. … I'm going to, again, hop out to my top view port here. … We're going to go into our Create panel, … want to make sure we're in Vray, under Light, … and we're just going to create a standard Vray light. … Now I'm going to create this to the right of the camera, … somewhere around here. … And again, we want to highlight those areas … that are in shadows. …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.