Create and transform photometric lights.
- [Aaron Ross] For setting up lighting,…I do recommend that you have some material…assigned to the objects in the scene.…In this case, these objects have no materials assigned.…And if I do an active shade rendering,…which I set up in the previous movie,…I can see the result of no materials assigned.…So I'll click on the little teapot with the triangle.…And we get the active shade window…up with the Arnold renderer.…And we can see reflections.…The Arnold renderer is able to assign…a default material to objects that don't have materials.…
And likewise the Arnold renderer…is capable of interpreting 3ds Max's default lighting.…So it looks like something.…But for testing our lighting,…I do recommend that we apply some form…of diffuse material to all these objects.…And that way we won't see these reflections…and we'll get a better sense of how the light…is propagating through the scene.…So I'll close the active shade…and create a simple physical material…with a diffuse matte finish.…
Open up the material editor from the main toolbar.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.