Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Asset tracking in 3ds Max, part of 3ds Max and Maya Integration.
- Sometimes your file paths will get broken.…Either the file's in the wrong place…or the path is wrong or both.…We can fix it pretty easily in 3dsMax…as long as we actually physically have the files.…In the scene I'm about to open,…it's going to try to load this file here,…terrainPaint_2048x1024.…And it's the one that's inside…shared_assets, source_textures.…I'm going to deliberately break the link…by moving that file out…and just dropping it on the desktop.…
Now when I load the scene file in 3dsMax,…this image is not where it's supposed to be…and so it won't be found.…I'll open 3dsMax…and then go to the application menu…and choose Open…and choose 01_05_asset_tracking_3dsMax.…And you see we get the Missing External Files dialog.…This is a very tricky dialog.…It's great that we get notified…that something's missing,…but it's very misleading…because what everyone wants to do…is click on this Browse button…and that's exactly what you shouldn't do.…
If you do click on the Browse button,…you get taken to the External File Paths dialog.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Managing and tracking assets
- Setting up a shared texture library
- Streamlining user interfaces
- Using Maya mode hotkeys in 3ds Max
- Harmonizing scene units and frame rates
- Rendering procedural textures to bitmaps
- Translating scenes with the FBX file format
- Correcting materials, lighting, and surfaces
- Using the Send To command
- Baking animation to keyframes
- Saving a geometry cache
- Distilling complex animation with Alembic
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2015 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 43m Beginner
Creating Product Shots in 3ds Maxwith Aaron F. Ross3h 25m Intermediate
1. Managing Assets
Asset tracking in 3ds Max4m 19s
2. Harmonizing Preferences
3. Transferring Materials
4. Transferring Models and Animation
5. Transferring Data with Alembic
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.