Creating subdivision that looks good on cylinders may seem like a simple task, but like most modellng operations adding variation and attention to detail can make a big difference.
- [Narrator] Okay, so we have all…of the basic shapes modeled out.…And, we have a decent level of detail applied to them.…What we want to do in this video, then, is tackle…the application of our open subdivision modifier…to the various pieces of our valve.…With the bottom piece selected then,…let's come to our modify tab,…and apply an OpenSubdiv modifier,…setting it at a value of two.…Because we took the time to sharpen…the edges here, you see that we are getting…some quite nice creasing or rounding in those areas,…and we can, of course, adjust things later on…should we want to, or need to.…
For now though, I am going to leave things as they are.…Selecting our second piece, we can again…add a open subdivision modifier,…and again set it at a value of two.…Now, if in our original modeling of this piece…the bevel didn't quite come inwards far enough,…leaving a bit of a gap, we may need to…come back to the editable poly level,…come into border mode, select the top border,…and press add to engage the scale tool.…And then, holding down the shift key,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.