Knowing where to add chamfers and cuts to keep clean topology is key and is something we have covered a number of times. However, practice makes perfect, so let's use the chamfer and cut tools to create the indent on our screw head.
- [Instructor] Having created the basic form…for the head of our mini bolt here,…what we want to do in this video…is create the chamfer extrusion…that will create the drive hole…as well as clean up parts of the topology…that we end up creating.…To do that with our screw head selected,…let's come into edge sub-object mode;…and then in the top view port,…press the Alt + W keys in order to maximize the view.…We want to select the cross-section of edges…in the center of the geometry here,…making sure that we stop where the screw head starts…to really fall away from the sides.…
So we may need to jump back…to the perspective view in order to check that.…In the edges panel,…let's shift click on the chamfer tool…and then right-click to zero out the chamfer size.…Then we can increase the value…until we have something that looks good.…In my case,…to around about 0.25 centimeters.…Now we could go ahead and turn on the quad chamfer option,…but because this will create more polygons…than we really need…and because this is a course on hard surface modeling,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.