Join Judd Roy for an in-depth discussion in this video Apply stenciled designs to your rocket, part of Game Art: Asset Texture Pipeline.
- View Offline
- Now I'll move on to using the stencil tool…within Substance Painter.…I'm going to start with with…the RAYMM Explorer Systems logo,…which are provided in the resource folder.…So I'll hide this RAYMM layer…and then also create a new layer to demonstrate.…First thing I want to do on this new layer…is pick a correct color.…So what I want to do is open up that color palette again,…pick color, grab the eyedropper, and go over to orange.…Now we have orange selected.…I'm going to close that and continue working.…Now what I'd like you to do…is go back to your resource folder,…grab our Rocket Stencils PNG file…and drag and drop that into our Alphas tab within Substance.…
So I'm going to go over here, make sure that's open,…and drag and drop him into the alpha.…Here he is.…Now I'm going to minimize this folder…and you can either drag and drop to the stencil…or you can just click here and pick any alpha you'd like.…So we'll pick the decals.…Now we can see the stencils applied to the viewport.…You can apply them through this viewport…
Senior environmental artist Judd Roy reviews the pipeline path for creating a 3D model of any game asset: characters, weapons, props, vehicles, etc. It starts in 3ds Max: high-poly and low-poly modeling, UV unwrapping, and a bit of lightmapping. Within Substance Painter, you'll bake maps from the high-poly asset and texture paint it. The finished textures are imported from Painter into Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4. In Unreal, you'll import the mesh object, create physically based rendering materials, and position them within a proper folder structure.
- Collecting references
- High-poly modeling
- Low-poly modeling
- Applying a lightmap to a mesh
- Exporting models
- Setting up the Unreal project structure
- Baking parameters in Substance Painter
- Adding adjusted maps
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Exporting Painter files
- Applying textures in Unreal