Join Judd Roy for an in-depth discussion in this video Apply a lightmap to the game-ready mesh, part of Game Asset Texture Pipeline.
- [Voiceover] In this video, I'm going to quickly go over…how to create a lightmap for your game-ready mesh.…So first thing we're gonna do is turn on our layer explorer.…I'm gonna hide these rockets, they are not…our game-ready mesh.…And I'll unhide our game-ready mesh.…What makes this game-ready is the fins…and the mini-thrusters have now all been repeated…upon the mesh.…I've also gone through and optimized…certain amounts of polys out of this mesh.…So if I collapse this down, select the glass,…and click on hide selected, you could see that…this camera section here has now got…a considerable less amount of polys.…
So I'm gonna unhide the class again,…and then open up the UV editor…so that you can see what we've done with the UVs.…I'm gonna turn off the checker in the back,…move our UV editor over here, and as you can see…all these pieces that are replicated throughout the mesh…have now been moved one unit either up, down, left or right.…I'm gonna close this down, and I'm gonna save this UV map.…I will name it UV map one, and I will save it…
Senior environmental artist Judd Roy reviews the pipeline path for creating a 3D model of any game asset: characters, weapons, props, vehicles, etc. It starts in 3ds Max: high-poly and low-poly modeling, UV unwrapping, and a bit of lightmapping. Within Substance Painter, you'll bake maps from the high-poly asset and texture paint it. The finished textures are imported from Painter into Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4. In Unreal, you'll import the mesh object, create physically based rendering materials, and position them within a proper folder structure.
- Collecting references
- High-poly modeling
- Low-poly modeling
- Applying a lightmap to a mesh
- Exporting models
- Setting up the Unreal project structure
- Baking parameters in Substance Painter
- Adding adjusted maps
- Painting in Substance Painter
- Exporting Painter files
- Applying textures in Unreal