Join Aaron F. Ross for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting materials, part of Creating Product Shots in 3ds Max.
…Our exposure looks pretty good, but we're getting some…strange highlighting on the front face of the watch glass.…That's actually coming from the Skylight, and…as I said earlier, the Skylight is optional.…In fact, we could turn it off in this case.…But we need to be aware of what we are doing, because the…skylight is the only source of diffuse illumination and shadows in this scene.…So the Skylight is providing all the diffuse light as well as shadows.…And the environment map is providing all the reflections.…
Well it just so happens that this watch is almost all reflections.…The watch band has no diffuse component, because it's diffuse color is black.…And the watch face has a diffuse amount of only 0.3.…So if we completely disabled all diffuse illumination here,…we would not see that big of a change.…Let's take a look at that.…Select the Skylight and turn it off.…And do another rendering, see what it looks like with no diffuse illumination.…
Now we're getting only reflections.…And it actually has solved the issue with the…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Want to learn how to create the same effect with Maya? Check out Creating Product Shots in Maya.
- Importing solid models as 3ds Max body objects
- Working with the scene layout, hierarchy, and display layers
- Building Arch & Design materials
- Creating area and photometric lights
- Setting exposure control
- Optimizing indirect illumination with Final Gather
- Image-based lighting with high dynamic range files
- Lighting with self-illuminated geometry
- Rendering to high dynamic range
- Saving render passes with Render Elements
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Layering and color correction in After Effects
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Laying Out the Scene
2. Studio Lighting
Controlling Final Gather3m 57s
3. Shading Models with Materials
4. Image-Based Lighting
5. Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.