Control a light's physical shape.
- [Instructor] To see the effect of changing…the lights shape we want to use the active shade window.…Let's configure that to always render the perspective view.…Go into the render set up, tea pot with a gear.…We're in active shade mode…and we just want to lock the view to render…to quad four perspective.…Click the padlock icon…and close the render set up dialogue.…Then we can launch the active shade window,…that's the tea pot with a triangle.…
And we're rendering in Arnold.…Let's go back to a four view port layout.…Click in the view port…and use the keyword shortcut alt W.…And now we're ready to position the light near the wall…so we can see the effect of changing the shape…of the light.…So just grab it and move it in any view port…with the move tool.…And we'll see it update immediately…in the active shade window.…Go over to the left view as well, position that.…
Get in closer with the keyboard shortcuts…and it's a bit overexposed…so just so we can see this effect…let's reduce the exposure.…I'll open up the environment and effects dialogue…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.