Define essential light parameters.
- [Instructor] Among the most essential properties…of any light are its intensity and color.…We'll set those up for this photometric light.…Maximize the perspective view with Alt+W.…Select the light, and go to the modify panel.…And we have the intensity, color, and attenuation rollout.…First we come to intensity.…And it can be measured photometrically in…candelas, lumens,…or lux at a certain distance.…Most people are most familiar with the lumens system…because that's how lighting instruments are rated.…
When you buy a light bulb in the store,…it's rated in lumens.…I'll switch the intensity measurement over to lumens,…and we see that the default value here…is almost 19,000 lumens.…Just for reference, an incandescent light bulb,…an old school one with 75-watt power load…is going to put out about 1,500 lumens.…So not 19,000, but 1,500.…Let's type that in here, select that and type in 1500.…
Press enter, and we see that we've got…a very dim shot.…So this tells me that we're going to need to…change the camera exposure if we want a…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max 2017: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.