Control a light's luminance pattern.
- [Aaron Ross] The photometric parameter…that goes hand in hand with the light's shape…is its distribution type.…And certain distribution types only…work with certain light shapes.…I've got a standard point photometric light here.…I'll select it and go into the active shade window…so that we can see the effects of these changes.…Click on active shade.…And then in the light's modify panel,…scroll down.…
We have a point light.…Let's now try a rectangle light,…also known as an area light.…Now we have a rectangle here…and we can rotate that.…I'll turn it on angle snaps and grab the rotate tool…and rotate it so it has a y-axis value…of negative 90 degrees.…And tumble around or orbit around…and it looks kind of strange even though…this light is edge on to the ceiling.…
Nonetheless, we're getting full illumination on the ceiling.…And that's because of the light's distribution type.…So scroll back up in the modify panel…and in general parameters, light distribution type…is defaulted to uniform spherical.…And that's appropriate for a point light,…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
Learn how to get around the 3ds Max interface and customize it to suit your preferences. Discover how to model different objects using splines, polygons, subdivision surfaces, and freeform sculpting. Then, learn to construct hierarchies, add cameras and lights, and animate with keyframes. Author Aaron F. Ross also takes an in-depth look at materials and texture mapping, as well as options for rendering engines such as Arnold and ART.
- Customizing the interface
- Selecting, duplicating, and editing objects
- Modeling with splines
- Parametric modeling with the Modifier Stack
- Polygon and subdivision surface modeling
- Freeform sculpting
- Framing shots with cameras
- Lighting with photometrics and daylight
- Building materials
- Mapping textures
- Linking objects in hierarchies
- Creating and editing keyframes
- Rendering an image sequence
Skill Level Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2018 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 10m Beginner
3ds Max: Advanced Lighting (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 52m Advanced
3ds Max: Advanced Materials (2017)with Aaron F. Ross2h 34m Intermediate
2. 3ds Max Interface
3. Scene Layout
4. Spline Modeling
5. Parametric Modeling with Modifiers
6. Polygon Modeling
7. Subdivision Surface Modeling
8. Freeform Modeling
9. Camera Techniques
12. Mapping Textures
14. Keyframe Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.