Learn how to use the metal shading model.
- [Instructor] Continuing our exploration…of the physical material,…using the ART Renderer in an ActiveShade window.…Let's now learn about reflections and metalness.…To see this most clearly I'll bring…the roughness back down to zero,…meaning that we will have full strength reflections.…And now it looks like it's a very shiny,…specular, highlight there.…But we also have a base color that is adding.…So we can change that up.…Let's go to the base color,…click on that.…
And set the value to .3 and click okay.…And now you can see that we're adding…the diffuse color,…which is a gray.…And we're getting specular highlights…and reflections superimposed over that.…Currently the specular highlights…will be whatever the color…of the lights in the scene are.…And if we want to control the specular highlights…and maybe make them a different color…we can do that.…We need to go into material mode, advanced.…
Now we have a separate reflections color.…If we click on that,…and give it maybe a bright yellow…we can start to see that appear.…
AuthorAaron F. Ross
- Streamlining material editor workflow
- Managing assets
- Referencing materials with XRefs
- Rendering the Physical Material
- Controlling highlights with Roughness
- Directing reflections and refractions
- Simulating translucency and scattering
- Building a shading network
- Combining and color correcting maps
- Baking maps with Render to Texture
- Procedural mapping
- Using relief maps: bump, normal, and displacement
Skill Level Advanced
3ds Max 2018: Mastering UVW Mappingwith Joel Bradley2h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross10h 39m Intermediate
1. Material Editor Tips and Tricks
2. Hard Surface Materials
3. Ray Tracing Techniques
4. Building Shading Networks
5. Advanced Mapping
Mapping a gradient ramp6m 31s
Next steps1m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.