A matte pass can be used to isolate parts of the image. In this video, learn how to use mattes to isolate and bring out the night sky in the composite.
- [Instructor] Another thing we can adjust is the sky. … One of the things I'm noticing with this particular image … is that the edges of the roof and the sky … kind of are almost the same tone, … so it's hard to make out the silhouette of the building. … And this is why we have this mat layer. … As you can see, this mat layer gives me a nice outline … of the building and the trees and I can use that … to select them out. … I'm going to use my magic wand tool. … Let's set it to about say 16 or so. … And click in the middle and we should get … just the building and the outlines of the trees. … And once we have that, we can do a select inverse … and then I'm going to create a layer mask. … And what this does is it allows me to select this image … of the sky and then just do some adjustments. … I can do, for example, levels. … So I can make my sky brighter, a little bit brighter, … a little bit darker, … I could also use this as a map to … take out the sky and replace it with something else …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.