Reflections can really make surfaces such as glass and metal stand out. In this video, learn how to manage the reflection pass as part of the composite.
- [Instruction] In addition to light and shadow … we can also add in some reflections. … So I'm going to go ahead over to my Reflect layer … and let's turn that on. … Now this layer's coming in a little bit dark … and one of the things I'm going to do … is just do an Image, Auto Contrast … and what this will do is it will brighten up the image … and specifically brighten up those reflections. … And really what I'm going to do is just … use those reflections and not the rest of the image. … Now we need to be able to select out those reflections … and we can do that using our Select layer. … Now again, this came in a little dark … so I'm going to do an Image, Auto Contrast. … That'll brighten it up, … make it a little bit easier to select. … So I'm going to keep this layer active … and then I'm going to do a Select, by Color Range. … I'm going to click in that yellow area … and if you notice we can adjust this slider … to bring those areas up or down. … It's going to select most of those areas, …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.