Reflections can really make surfaces such as glass and metal stand out. In this video, learn how to manage the reflection pass as part of the composite.
- [Instructor] Now that I have all of the layers in my file, … I've saved it out as a Photoshop file … just as a safety backup. … using these layers. … Now the first thing I want to do … So I'm going to go ahead and turn off all of these layers here. … Here we have our HERO, which I want to have on, … and our REFLECT layer. … Now what I want to do is select these windows … and composite them in. … So I'm going to go into my SELECT layer, highlight it, … and then all we have to do is do Select … by Color Range, and I'm going to click on the blue … in this window, and notice how that blue shows up … and I can change the Fuzziness here to dial that in. … And now I've selected all of these windows. … And this is why we have the SELECT layer, … because it's so easy to select parts of this image. … Now I could turn off the SELECT layer … and highlight the REFLECT layer. … And if we want, we can then create what's called … a layer mask, and what that does … is it basically just masks out everything …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.