The ambient occlusion pass can make lighting and shadows more realistic. In this video, learn how to composite the ambient occlusion pass using blend modes in Photoshop.
- [Instructor] I now have my composite set up … and we can now start to adjust our image. … Now I'm going to start off with lighting and shadow, … so I'm going to turn off a number of these layers. … I'm going to turn off select, matte, and reflect, … as well as AO. … So we're going to go down to the very bottom layer, … which is our background copy layer. … Now the first thing I want to do is just … get the exposure of this correct. … Now I can do this in a couple of different ways. … One is to actually just modify this by going into, … say, image adjustments. … We have a number of these. … We can do brightness/contrast or levels, … something like that. … Another one which I like is the camera raw filter, … and this gives you a lot of control … over things such as exposure, … contrast, and so on. … But for this one, … I'm actually going to use an adjustment layer. … So I'm going to click here, … and we're just going to add in a levels layer. … And as you can see, … the levels are pretty low on this, …
- Setting up V-Ray
- Setting up environmental lighting
- Adding sunlight to a scene
- Rendering a hero pass
- Creating reflection and selection passes
- Adding ambient occlusion
- Lighting for night
- Setting up a matte pass
- Adjusting light, shadow, and reflections
Skill Level Intermediate
3ds Max and V-Ray: Residential Exterior Materialswith George Maestri2h 27m Intermediate
3ds Max: Substance to V-Ray Workflowswith Brian Bradley1h 35m Intermediate
V-Ray Next for 3ds Max Essential Trainingwith Brian Bradley6h 13m Intermediate
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Lightingwith Aaron F. Ross3h 36m Advanced
3ds Max 2019: Advanced Materialswith Aaron F. Ross2h 37m Advanced
1. Set Up the Scene and Environment
2. Lighting for Daytime
3. Daytime Rendering and Compositing
4. Lighting for Night
5. Night Rendering and Compositing
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.