Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding structural reinforcement, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- Having taken care of the outer frame,…and cross boards in our crate construction,…we are ready to set about adding some structural support…to the geometry.…As we do this, we will also want to make note…of some important points that are worth keeping in mind…whenever we are working at creating game-ready assets.…First of all then,…I want to select one of the existing boards…that we have here,…so that I can go ahead…and use it as a start point for my first cross support.…Put the Move tool engaged by means of the W key.…
Let's hold down the Shift key,…and drag this forward a little, like so.…We need to create a copy here,…so let's make sure that option is chosen…and at the same time,…rename the mesh to…GEO_Cross_Support,…and then press OK.…As we do need to remodel the mesh a little bit,…let's come down to the bottom of our Modifier Stack…so that we can do so, using the parameters…found on our box primitive.…After saying yes to the topology dependency warning,…let's set the height option here,…to something around about 2.5 centimeters,…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.