Here we find ourselves needing to create a circular hole in a square section of our mesh. We will use the same approach as before. However, this time we will also use the midpoint snap option as we are working on a flat plane and so we do not need to worry about the snap not working. We can then use cuts and inset operations to get the topology that we need.
- [Narrator] With the basic outline…of our GAD piece roughed in, we're going to…spend some time in this video adding the hole…that will be needed in order for the piece…to be fastened to the helmet itself.…Before we start that however, I do want…to perform a tiny bit of cleanup here.…And so, with the geometry selected,…let's add a new Edit Poly modifier to the stack,…come into Edge Sub-Object mode, and select all…of the internal edges along the bottom of our shape here.…In the Edit Edges rollout in the command panel,…we can then Control-click on the Remove button…in order to get rid of all of that unnecessary detail.…
Now, we're holding down on the…Control key as we click here of course,…because we also want to remove the related vertices as well.…In Vertex Sub-object mode now, let's select the two sets…of vertices sitting on either side of our top extension,…hit alt to engage the Scale tool, and then in the edit panel…on the ribbon, turn on the Constraint Edge option.…Which means we can now scale these out ever so slightly,…
- Modeling with splines
- Creating a working grid
- Duplicating and welding components
- Extruding complex shapes from components
- Building shapes with primitives
- Applying subdivision creasing
- Box modeling
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating a Environment Kit Design for Gameswith Christian Bradley2h 38m Appropriate for all
3ds Max 2017 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross9h 50m Appropriate for all
Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Assetwith Joel Bradley2h 17m Intermediate
1. Modeling with splines
2. Creating Complex Shapes from Components
3. Building with Primitives
4. Modeling with Edge Cuts
5. Box Modeling
What's next?1m 57s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.