Join Joel Bradley for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding extra elements, part of Creating a Stylized Wooden Crate Game Asset.
- Okay. Time for us to have a quick discussion…on the importance of thinking ahead…whilst we are creating our game engine assets.…You see, when it comes to modeling games…or game engine based applications,…it is quite possible that we may be given a poly budget…that allows us to make use of hundreds,…quite possibly, even thousands of polies…for the objects that we are going to be building…even if we are working on…only background objects for a level.…All of this is made possible…by the extremely powerful hardware…that is around these days.…
Now because we have the resources at our disposal though,…there is a little bit of a trap…that we really want to avoid, if at all possible,…and that is becoming wasteful in our use of resources.…One of the important decisions…that we will probably have to make on a daily basis…will center around the question…of when and how to add details to our in-game assets.…For example, our nail here.…If I just select that,…come down to the Edit Poly modifier…that is sitting below our Bend modifier,…
- Modeling the wood frame
- Adding structural reinforcements
- Creating nails with primitives
- Unwrapping the wood and nails
- Combining UV elements
- Exporting the FBX file
- Creating the shader in Substance Designer
- Simulating weathering and edge wear
- Importing the mesh in Unreal Engine
- Applying the substance
Skill Level Intermediate
Modeling a Character in 3ds Maxwith Ryan Kittleson4h 31m Intermediate
3ds Max 2013 Essential Trainingwith Aaron F. Ross7h 9m Beginner
Learning CAT Rigging Tools in 3ds Maxwith Joel Bradley2h 33m Intermediate
1. Modeling the Wood
2. Nailing It All Together
3. Unwrapping & Exporting Geometry
4. Creating the Shader
5. Bringing It All Together in Unreal Engine 4
Importing the mesh3m 5s
What next?1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.